Saturday, October 28, 2006

Firefox killer addon idea

If you're like me you probably have a bunch of web sites you like to read regularly. Some I want to see every day. Others once a week. Some maybe just once every three months.

Of course solutions to this sort of thing already exist. RSS is the obvious one. Anybody can use a Feed Reeder such as http://google.com/reader to look at what's changed on a bunch of web pages.

Nice, but it's not quite what I want. If I normally look at a site once a week I don't want to be directed to it each time something changes on the front page.

Instead imagine a comment on important bookmarks that indicate how often you want to view a web page, such as 1 day, 2 weeks etc. The browser keeps track of page visit. So all I want to do is press one hot key (maybe the space bar) and have Firefox jump to my next page. It would be simple to have all of these special bookmarks in a priority order based on the last viewed time and the desired frequency.

One key press, and you're looking at the page you'd next want to see. Maybe even arranged as a three or four tabs loading in advance.

Now that'd be a killer addon.

I admit I started looking around trying to figure out how to write such an addon. But I just can't seem to find an API to handle bookmarks. Any addon gurus out there want to take a crack at this?

1 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Kirubakaran A said...

Would something like this, but with /user's list of sites/ instead of /Reddit's top-25/ help?

1. This way it will be totally web based... no need of installing anything.

2. Will work in any browser and will travel with you always.

3. Like you said, user defined rules can say when a website is to be shown.

What do you think? I had these in mind when I coded this but abandoned when nobody visited boremenot.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home